Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sugar-glazed Cheese Bagel




Makes 11 Bagels

IngredientsAmounts
Plain Flour2 ¼ Cups
Sugar¼ Cup
Eggs1
Instand Dry Yeast2 ½ Tsp
Milk¾ Cup
Salt1¼ Tsp
Butter10g


Toppings: Cheddar Cheese and Sugar

  1. Warm milk over stove and bring the butter to melt in it. Stir to make sure butter is throughouly melted. Bring to cool.

  2. In a mixing bowl, stir in plain flour, sugar, salt, egg and yeast. Mixed to form a soft and sticky dough.

  3. Allow the dough to proof for 60 mins. It should expand double in size.

  4. When dough is proofed, punch to bring out the air. Knead the dough onto a slightly floured surface.

  5. Preheat oven to 220 Degree Clesius for 20 mins.

  6. Cut the dough using a donut cutter or placing them into donut trays. Bake for 8-10 mins.

  7. Place the cheddar cheese onto the baked bagels. Grill the bagels in an toaster oven for 2 mins or when cheese starts to melt. Sprinkle sugar over the melted cheese.









Being hooked onto baking breads recently. Decided to try out this easy Bagel recipe which I found online. The texture of the bagels tasted quite differently from the one I had outside. These bagels had the most fluffiest texture that I've ever tasted! I think it tasted more fluffier than my Hokkaido Milk loaf >.<

These bagels were for Sunday's Breakfast. I've always love having home-made breakfast! Anyway, they were supposed to be plain bagels but my Royal Prince Charming can get fussy occasionally, thus I had to turn them into savoury bagels instead!

5 comments:

Aimei said...

Hi, its me again. :) Do you have to knead the dough before the first proofing? Cos' I find that most bread making does it this way; And after the punching of air, how long do you need to knead? I'm excited to try as you were saying it's so soft and if it doesn't require too much kneading. By the way, was wondering can this work as donuts since you are trying to make donuts for your little brother. :)

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Hi Aimei,

Kneading the dough before proofing here is not required because the dough is very sticky.

Once the dough is ready after proofing, you can then proceed to knead it. Btw, because most of the bagels that I have tried were always hard, therefore I felt that these batch of bagels were very fluffy. In fact, it's even fluffier than my hokkaido milk loaf! Can't believe it either. However, do note that the bagels were not very fluffy the next day and I had to steam them before eating.

Anyway, not to worry because some may prefer "harder" bagels. I chilled the bagels in the fridge and my hubby ate one and fell in love with it because he said it tasted similar to Chilled Krispy Creme donuts. My little brother like that too :)

Also, if you really keen to make a very fluffy bagel, you can add in more butter :) The original recipe requires 15g of butter but I reduced to 10g because my hubby likes chewy bread. I hope this helps ;)

Aimei said...

Thanks alot! Will try it one day! :)

As for the html code, I think I do need help, Haha. Thanks for offering to help. Will consult you when I have problems. :)

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Hi aimei,

It's my pleasure :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimei,

May I know what type of milk did you use?
Sweetened Condensed Milk or Evaporated milk?
Thanks a lot=D