Friday, May 23, 2014

Rainbow Chiffon cake

I baked a rainbow! The recent trend of baking anything rainbow has caught me!
Been so obsessed with baking colorful stuffs lately ;) Was thinking of attempting to bake Rainbow-ed macarons but because I wasn't that confident with my macaron skills thus decided to put it on pause (Till I perfect my macarons then). And then, I was amazed with the Rainbow cakes that I saw on Pinterest and on the Internet  (e.g. Martha Stewart, Kerry Cooks and Pixelated Crumb), I almost wanted to bake one  for Baby Kwok #1's 4th Birthday! Oh well, but the boy requested for a Transformers cake (hmpf!) so I dropped that idea.

With the recent leg issue that I faced with Baby Kwok #1, I was a little down. Even though, the Orthopedist has mentioned that his leg seems okay as she did not observed any pain when the cast was removed and he could stand and squat, I am still worried. After the cast removal, Baby Kwok #1 is still limping :( The way he walk is worrying me. I googled and results were showing that it is pretty normal that the child may be reluctant to walk or walk weirdly during the 1st few days (or even week) after going off the cast but it still depressing. I get so stressed when I see the boy limping and get fed up by asking him what's wrong! I think that scares him a little. Sigh... Prince Charming said I am overly paranoid but seriously, WHO wouldn't be worried?! I appreciate some kind advise from parents who have similar experiences so please do send me a comment!
 
Anyway, decided to bake a Rainbow Chiffon to make myself feel better. Colors perks me up!


To make this, you will need:

Cake batter
  • 80g Flour
  • 60g Vegetable oil
  • 60ml Water
  • 20g Sugar (I used caster sugar)
  • 70g Egg yolks

Meringue
  • 180g Egg whites
  • 90g Sugar
  • 10g Corn starch

  1. In a mixing bowl, combine yolks, sugar and oil. Mixed well
  2. Add flour and water to the yolk mixture. Mix and ensure that the batter is lump free. (Lumps affects the texture of the cake)
  3. Divide the mixture into 4 bowls (more if you are doing more colors). Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 170°C
  4. In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites till foamy. Add in sugar and corn starch gradually till mixture get transformed into peaks. Do not over beat the mixture - You can check the consistency on and off to ensure you get the right texture. Meringue with soft peaks works well but I prefers a slightly solid peak but not to the extend of very stiff peaks.
  5. Scoop the meringue into the cake batter mixture (step 3) equally. Add your desired color gel to the individual bowl. Fold and blend the meringue into the cake batter gently. (Do not over-fold as this might causes the chiffon to collapse)
  6. Layer the mixture into the chiffon pan. Once done, tap the chiffon pan to release air bubbles/gas in the mixture. Bake for 33~35 mins.

No comments: